Sunday, April 21, 2013

Wake Me Up, Before You Go-Go!

So as I mentioned in a previous post I'm a coffee addict!

I don't usually drink coffee at home, I'm mainly drink tea at home, but when I do drink coffee at home (which maybe I should do more often and thus save money….) I save the coffee grounds to make….

A DIY COFFEE SCRUB!

It's simple, it's easy and so much more budget friendly compared to the $12 to at times $30 coffee scrub you can buy at the stores!

There are several recipes out there online

DIY Cinnamon Coffee Sugar Scrub Recipe
   This one includes cinnamon, honey, sugar and coconut oil.

DIY Cellulite Scrub
   This one is a mix between brown sugar and sea salt, along with almond oil or olive oil. This website also really tries to sell the fact that since coffee beans have caffeine in it- the scrub would fight off cellulite. I'm not sure how true of a statement it is though….

But the DIY recipe I used to make my own coffee scrub was

DIY Cellulite Fighting Scrub
Again this site really tries to sell the fact that coffee since its with caffeine would help with cellulite- but does it really? I'm a bit skeptical BUT the coffee grounds (alone with the sugar) is a great exfoliant and would help get rid of dead skin) and the oil would help moisturize your skin.

Its just 3 simple ingredients- coffee grounds, sugar and oil (I used olive oil, but coconut oil or almond oil would work great as well :) ).

For my recipe I also added peppermint oil- to give a great tingly effect! I've also read several recipes where they use vanilla extract.

Its a great and easy scrub to give you that extra pep when you shower! I should warn you that the coffee ground does get messy in the shower and will leave a "looks like you just showered in mud" look if you don't wash it off. But the coffee grounds didn't leave any mark on my tub nor did it clog my shower.

Also on PETA 
They have this recipe minus the sugar- so just the coffee ground and the olive oil as a DIY facial scrub. I haven't made it yet- but I wouldn't mind using it on my face either- I'm sure it would smell great and be a great pick me up in the morning!


What kind of extract/essential oil would you use for your DIY coffee scrub?

How do you reuse your coffee grounds?

XOXO
-S




No comments:

Post a Comment